Monday, June 7, 2010

Bra-buying on a budget.

One of the many, many, many, many trials of being a woman is Bra Shopping. There is no avoiding it, because the alternative is worse. But the bra section is almost as bad as the feminine hygiene aisle at the supermarket; nobody wants to stand there for too long too often in case they're seen. Unfortunately the worser thing about the bra section is that sometimes women bring men in there with them. And then I feel invaded, caught with embarrassing evidence in my hands and all around me. I am a prude about these things—men should stay away from the bra department. That's what husband chairs* are for.

And the range is baffling. I try and go back each year to find the same one that I bought the year before, but there is always a new selection of things I don't want so I have to spend ages again comparing elastic, padding, strap width, colour, and finding the right size. So many variables.

However, the system I have works as well as it can within the circumstances, minimising expense and frustration.

1) Go bra shopping at Myer during the winter stocktake sales. You get good quality, but at 30% off, which makes the prices reasonable. Cheap bras are terrible in so many ways.
2) Buy 2 or 3, to last you a year. Buy a skin tone t-shirt bra, then a black bra and a sports bra.
3) Look for wide, strong elastic around the back. A bra is only as long-lasting as its elastic.
4) Don't wear your new ones yet, cos it's winter. You are probably OK in your old bra cos you are covering it with layers. Save them till summer.
5) Don't go back to the bra section for another 12 months! Woo!

*Husband chairs are the benches up the middle of shopping malls where husbands and boyfriends are left marooned while women "quickly duck in here, can you mind the bags". Why these men agree to go clothes shopping with their wives in the first place is beyond me.

8 comments:

  1. Oh they're just supportive.. the men that is. They win in the long run.

    I think the worst part about bra shopping is how expensive they are, probably on average $60-80 for something nice.

    Stop being embarrassed. We're women, not teenagers. Own it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm w Jess K. I just ignore everyone else. For me, however, only certain bras work--usually T-shirt bras (i.e. they don't show under T-shirts) with racer back straps. So that narrows the field quite nicely!

    Nursing bras are another kettle of fish. It annoys me how much your breasts change over the course of your life; I think I shall have to be measured again post-birth to see whether the ones I bought during pregnancy still fit as I think I am growing out of them :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nude-coloured bra is a must for me! I have a few of those. I buy all of mine from Singapore - they're not much cheaper, but at least I know what I like & what my size is.

    Are you gonna run with the idea of hosting a intermo thing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also totally agree about the the range - I try going back the next time I'm in Singapore (usually 6-9 months later) & the design I really like usually isn't there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you get by with only two bras?! Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, "Ew" as it sounds, you can wear clothes more than once. I nearly always re-wear stuff (except obviously socks and undies). I only wash my jeans every few months (that's actually on the advice of denim experts). Also, 7 bras would be lovely, but I'm frugal so 7 x $35 = $245 = no way am I going to have a clean one each day. Hence, "bra-buying on a budget". 3 good ones lasts me between washes.

    Karen, I was tempted to try on a maternity bra cos it looked really comfy but then I thought better of it. It's an even more complicated world!

    Jess:) check out intimo online and see if it looks worth while. If there is interest I might.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time for me to weigh in on this debate!

    Men go clothes shopping with their wives because they are there to pay for it :) Happy wife = happy life :)

    The range is baffling, but I actually suggest you do your bra-picking BEFORE the sales i.e. get fitted, know your size and which bra you want to buy, so that when it comes to sale time, you can snap them up! Also I highly recommend getting fitted at city DJs. They have a great fitter there. (Apparently I remind her of her god-daughter :P)

    My preferred "everyday" bra is Triumph's Gorgeous range. RRP is $49.95. They're only sold at Myer and DJs. I've noticed Kmart and Big W also sell Triumph, but a different range.

    My question is, what do you do with bras that you have worn, but no longer fit you, but are still good quality, wearable bras? I know there's some charity out there that takes it...

    I'm interested in this intimo thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you ever think some husbands just like spending time with their wives? Or that the wives can pay for their own bras?

    ReplyDelete